Transport offices across India offer a reprint of the driving licenses in case the holder has lost the original or if the original driving license has been stolen. The Indian government, with the assistance of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, has made it easy and possible for the general public like us who want a reprint of driving license by applying online.
A driving license is compulsory in India by all individuals driving a vehicle on Indian roads as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, and no person is allowed to drive a vehicle without a valid driving licence. Check here the step-by-step guide to apply for the reprint of driving licence online.
Duplicate driving licence will be issued in the following circumstances:
- When the licence is lost or destroyed.
- When the licence is defaced or torn or completely written up.
- When the photograph affixed to the licence requires replacement.
- Application in Form – 2
- The original licence is written or defaced if available.
- Attested photocopies of DL if available in case of loss of licence.
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
How to apply for a reprint of driving licence online:
- File and submit the LLD form that can be downloaded from the Sarathi website https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in.
- After completing the form, take a printout of the same.
- Hand it over to the RTO office from where you originally got your driving license. Submit all necessary documents. You will not be required to take the driving test again to get a duplicate license.
- Once you get done with all the formalities, the duplicate driving license will be sent to your registered home address via post.
- You will also be given in receipt which you can use in lieu of a driving license till you get your duplicate driving license.
Note: The offline method is also very simple. You need to go to the RTO that issued your initial Driving License. Get a Form LLD- application of duplicate driving license, fill-up the form correctly, and put your signature on the form.